Thursday, March 30, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

Okay, here's one of those "huh?" moments. The kids at school were talking about the really big puddles on the roads now that the snow is seriously melting. I told them that some of the street drains weren't allowing the melted water to flow through as they were still plugged with ice. One of the kids asked me if that was called "sewercide". After some questioning from me to determine what he was really wanting to know, he told me that when it rains really hard in a summer storm and water comes into the basement, he thought it was sewercide. The best I can conclude is that this boy thinks that sewer back-up is called sewercide. And, you know, if you've ever had sewer back-up in your basement, his word is a pretty accurate way to describe what you're feeling ; ) I assured the class that the puddles that they were playing in now were not the result of sewer back-up, just muddy water.

I have heard that the word "google" has now been added as a verb to the new dictionaries. Maybe "sewercide" (noun) should be the next addition.

1 comment:

Marguerite said...

Sewercide. I love it.

Thanks for a Friday morning chuckle.