When I read that Dipsy D. was thinking about making the same hat that I made Geoff, I thought that I'd better post the changes that I made.
First, I frogged about a quarter of it and started over when I tried it on Geoff and he said that it was too long. The pattern shows that the brim is rolled and he didn't want to roll it. So I started it again about 2 inches shorter. When it was finished it was quite big and loose, probably because it was meant to have a rolled brim, so I threaded some yarn around the inside of the edge. I tried it on him and pulled the yarn to his desired circumference and then tied it off and wove in the ends.
This is a very thick, warm hat. It's fine for Saskatchewan winters but would probably be too hot for warmer climates. The pattern uses acrylic yarn. My stash yarn was 30% wool and 70% acrylic. It's washable and should breathe a bit better due to the wool content.