Tuesday, November 13, 2007

a terrible blow

My regular blog readers will remember that I bought some lovely alpaca/merino wool from Victoria of Victoria's Fibre. I just learned that Victoria's home in Manitoba has been destroyed in a fire. Thankfully there was no one home at the time and even the cats were outside so nobody was hurt. However, Victoria lost about 1500 lbs. of fiber that wasn't insured so she will be starting over with her business.

Because she was going to a craft show the next day, Victoria had some of her yarn in the trunk of her car so some of her wool was saved. If you are in the market to buy some wool please consider her yarn. It is really beautiful! Her contact information is on the website. You can see here and here some of what I bought and dyed. It's worsted weight 2-ply 70% alpaca/30% merino that was mule spun for softness. I'll be ordering more for myself because it's wonderful stuff and because Victoria could really use some help from the fiber community at this time.

I wonder how many of us have insurance on our yarn and fiber stashes. It's got me thinking that I'd better check my coverage. It might be a good time to assess what else we have that might need to be insured like my husband's DVD library. I buy wool, he buys movies.

No comments: