Friday, February 01, 2008

it's here!

My new knitting machine (Studio LK150) finally came this week! I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet but managed to knit a few swatches for practice. It's a whole new ballgame to work with compared to hand knitting. I have a lot to learn. The instruction book is terse to say the least. I don't think I could learn much just using it but luckily it also came with a DVD that makes everything much more clear. Dan is bringing his laptop home for the weekend so I'll be able to set up the DVD right next to the machine and try to understand how to do stitch manipulation.

I wasn't sure where I was going to put the machine but discovered it fits on my sewing machine desk in the spare room so that's the perfect place for it.
Look! I changed colors in the swatch! Yes, I'm easily entertained.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You will love that machine after awhile, esp for all those long boring stocking stitch pieces and quick baby blankets. I had one of those from the 80"s and used it till it wouldn't work anymore. I currently have a ultimate sweater machine, I love it too, but I miss the LK for that finer gauge work. PS if you Google it and patterns, there is a lot of them out there.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Laura's comments! I have a Singer HK100 (looks a lot like yours only older) and used it for nearly 20 years. I learned how to take care of it and I don't think it will ever die! It taught me a lot about the construction of a stitch and knit garments for that matter. Manipulating stitches means you take them off the needles (one-by-one) and do things with them - fun! I found for textures & cables by hand is easier & faster - just my opinion. It is possible to combine - knit the ribbing by hand then put the piece on the machine for the stockingette or vice versa. You'll have fun, I just know it!