Monday, November 03, 2008

almost ready to send

I finished knitting the Tulip Cardigan for baby Jayda last night. Jayda is our god-daughter Kaitlin's little one. Here it is washed and blocked for drying. I made the size 2 and it looks pretty big to me but I don't have any wee folks around to compare it to other size 2's. Jayda is just turning a year old so it will likely have to wait a bit before she can wear it but I'll send it to her when it's dry anyway.

I dyed Knit Picks Superwash Merino for it instead of buying the Dream In Color yarn that the pattern called for. I'm very happy with the result! Jayda has dark hair and big brown eyes and I think these bright colors will suit her. The yarn label says that it can be machine washed and dried on low but I think the yarn will hold up much better if it's machine washed in cool water and laid flat to dry. I washed it by hand with hot water a few times to make sure that the dyes were exhausted but that dark teal color might still bleed a bit if it gets washed in the machine with hot water. It will be fine in cool water.

2 comments:

HaveFaith said...

I love it! And I'm glad it is washable. I know that most mothers just don't have time for a lot of special care. Or they have a gem of a husband like my daughter does who actually helps with the laundry. (But he doesn't read labels.) Needless to say, I don't send hand washables to the grandkids.

Such pretty colors. Babies love colors!

Lynn said...

this is adorable!!! And GREAT job on making it washable.