Monday, June 21, 2010

monsoon

We were under severe storm watches and warnings for most of today including possible tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail, and torrential downpours.

I headed out to a couple of appointments this afternoon just as a thunderstorm was brewing. By the time I got to the chiropractor's office, it was hitting full tilt - thunder, lightning, and monsoon-style rain that kept up for more than an hour. Power was out and some businesses closed because apparently life as we know it cannot happen without electricity to run the cash registers.

By the time I got to appointment number 2, the parking lot (this same one, from a post from last year) couldn't drain the water fast enough to keep up.

Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to wear hip waders so I got wet feet.

We had another storm with heavy rain after supper. Parts of my back yard are flooded but I'm sure it will soak in by tomorrow as long as the rain is finished.

This has been a very strange spring, weather-wise, for the prairie provinces. We in Regina have been relatively fortunate. Other places are in far worse shape.

3 comments:

Lovs2Knit said...

This weather has been so crazy. We're under flood warnings but we live on high ground. The river is near overflowing and the dams are all at capacity.

Anonymous said...

I live in Dallas but am originally from Regina. I was talking to my parents who live in Normanview yesterday afternoon during the first rainstorm - and I can't believe it rained again there! we have +100 degree weather with no rain insight. We'd sure like to switch weather with Regina for a day or two.

If it's not cold, it's wet and when it's finally nice you are inundated with Mosquitos (and in years past - grasshoppers!)

Jody
But in the end, I love and miss Regina because ebven though the weather can suck, the people are still the best!

Lynn said...

It's strange for me to hear that you guys get thunder storms! Yes I know its possible, but then I think of you guys that far north, I only think snow.