Wednesday, June 16, 2010

stormy sky

Well, we finally had a couple of days of sunshine but now we're into another major rain cycle. We've had so much rain this spring that many farmers are having to write off crops for the year. Their fields are literally under water and they can't get machinery onto them to do the seeding. Cattle farmers are losing young calves because of the wet conditions. In some cases they can't even get to the cattle to provide veterinary aid. For a land that is usually too dry, this year has been very unusual. It seems that there is no happy medium as far as moisture is concerned.

I just took the dogs outside and it has become very windy. The sky is lighting up all around. We're bound to get thunderstorms when there is this much humidity in the air. Although I'm sorry that there is more rain on the way, I do like a flashy thunderstorm so I took my camera onto the back deck to see what it can do. There are so many settings on my new camera that I haven't even read the manual about most of them; I started to just snap away on different settings to see what happened. I took 42 pictures and got one that worked.

Sadly, I wasn't organized enough to note which camera setting produced the winner so I will have to try them all again the next time I take pictures of the night sky. I'm starting to hear thunder now so the storms are getting closer. I'd better take the dogs out again now before it starts pouring.

p.s. Cooper just heard his first real big thunder bang while we were outside. He barked at it. Yep, he's a sheltie.

6 comments:

Monika said...

Beautiful photo!
June has been like May should have been so far. But I'm not complaining!

Jody said...

That is an extrordinary picture Susan. We are in for a muggy spell. I really do not like the hot, humid weather at all.

SissySees said...

Stunning photo! We're having odd weather too. March to August, now back to maybe late May, but tomorrow, back to August. (Why yes, *I* know it is June, but Mother Nature seems especially fickle.)

Lovs2Knit said...

That's a great photo! It's been rainy/stormy here too. It cooled off enough that I actually had to kick the heater on today.

Lynn said...

What a cool picture!!!!

Gloria Patre said...

Gorgeous photo! Don't ask me to cheer for the rain though!
I really love the "light" new look of your blog! Kudos!