Monday, July 12, 2010

a few projects


I finished the plain vanilla socks for myself out of Trekking Maxima using two 1.75mm Addi circs (I'm a loose knitter*). It's the first pair of the toe-up gusset heel style that I've made for my own narrow feet and I was interested to see how I would like the fit. It fits better than I thought it would. I like the way the toe feels better than my usual standard top-down toes but I like the K1, P1 heel flap better because it snugs up to my very narrow heels better. I guess the answer to the best fit would be to knit toe-up socks with a heel flap but wrapping stitches doesn't thrill me. I suppose more practice with the technique might remedy that but I'm reluctant to force myself to keep knitting something that drives me crazy. Maybe I'll dig out the Crazy Toes and Heels book and use that method instead.

I have been spinning for the Tour de Fleece although not as much as I would like. The days seem to fly by now that Dan is off for the summer.

I finished spinning the second bobbin of BeeMiceElf Latte Love and will ply the two singles together soon. This was the January club fiber and is a lovely soft blend of 75% superwash merino, 25% milk.

I've also done some spindle spinning. I find I'm using my spindles more than the wheels lately for some reason. Here's my latest pet:
a Golding ring spindle. We had very dear Dutch neighbors when I was a child and the Delft porcelain reminds me of the many hours I spent with their welcoming family. The fiber is my own hand-dyed and carded merino/bamboo.

I took Cooper to the vet to have his stitches removed and he has been pronounced healthy and healed. Let's hope he manages to stay that way for good long while.

*As in, I knit loosely; as opposed to, I am a loose woman who knits.

3 comments:

Marguerite said...

I visually enjoyed your post today.

Wonderful pictures - the content, the composition, the colors.

Thanks.

Lynn said...

LOVE those socks!!!!

Walden said...

The spinning looks lovely, as do the socks!