Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sold!

Wow, that was quick! The Joy is already winging her way to a new home with Jane in Illinois. I hope that Jane enjoys her as much as I have!

Speaking of Illinois, what a wonderful celebration in Washington D.C. yesterday! I think that the world is suddenly filled with an optimism that didn't exist before the inauguration. Barack Obama is a talented orator and it's apparent that he has a very good head on his shoulders. But what strikes me the most is that he seems to be a genuinely good man, a man that will lead with intelligence and compassion in difficult times. And it is truly humbling to think that we are only a generation away from segregation. While Canada is, in many ways, a culturally diverse and accepting nation, I would only hope that we can learn from the U.S. and grow forward in acceptance of the equality of all Canadians. We have a long way to go with respect to First Nations and Metis people especially. I'm not naive and I realize that the States still has huge racial problems but yesterday Americans seemed to take a giant step forward in this respect.

I recently finished reading "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. The setting is the American South in 1964 and racial relations are an integral part of the plot. I really love this book and highly recommend it! It is beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm a little scared to, in case it doesn't live up to the book. I always like to read a book before seeing the movie. I like to get the chance to let my imagination experience it the way the author intended before I watch actors and a director interpret the story for me.

1 comment:

Aunt Kathy said...

Wow that did sell fast. What a blessing for you.

I have that book... haven't read it yet.