Wednesday, April 23, 2008

wonky weather and the cardi

More wonky weather days on the prairies. Yesterday was cold and windy. It felt like winter again and, as you can see in the picture, even snowed a bit. It's still cold today but it is calm so it feels better. Even so, we're getting tired of it and are ready for warmth.

I finished seaming the machine knitted cardi. Now I have to decide what I want for edging. I had planned to do ribbing on the machine just so that the whole first project was manufactured by the knitting machine but soon gave up that idea. Without a ribber, all of the ribbing has to be converted manually and I can do it better and more easily by hand. I'm thinking about making a cabled edging and am browsing my books for ideas. The Nicky Epstein's Edge books have lots of great ideas. Also, I found Janet Szabo's I Hate To Finish Sweaters book indispensable for finishing techniques. Mattress stitching the seams was so cool. I did about an inch worth of stitching loosely then pulled on the yarn to snug up the edges and was just fascinated by the results (I know, easily amused). It was like zipping up the stitches and making them invisible.

2 comments:

Lovs2Knit said...

We ended up with more snow yesterday. Today it's suppose to rain.
I used the mattress stitch on my youngest ones dress and it fascinated me the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I read your post on the Yarn Harlot's blog and wanted to let you know I really appreciate your thoughts on the issue. When I attended Rhinebeck last year I took my 2 month old along. He was great, but one morning at breakfast got superfly upset. Why? Who knows? He just was. I was so embarrassed because I was worried he was disturbing everyone's breakfasts, but what could be done? It was the hotel restaurant, so short of room service there was no alternative. A lady came up to me and said, "I remember those days. Don't worry. He isn't as loud as you think he is." How reassuring! I wish everyone had such a kind attitude!